Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Wine Making

In one of the zillions of cookbooks I have collected I came across a recipe for Blackberry wine. It was in a book called Celtic Forklore Cooking. I am assuming the same recipe would work for Mulberry wine since it is just berries and sugar. It sounds quite easy. The problem is that you are suppose to let the berries sit out in a large bowl for 4 weeks, how do you keep animals and birds from eating the berries? It says nothing about covering the bowl. I can't really think of anywhere I could put them that they wouldn't be eaten, except inside, but they would probably get pretty smelly sitting inside for weeks. I was thinking that maybe a screen of some sort, affixed over the top of the bowl might work. The berries would still get air, but most animals and birds would probably not be able to get to them, although those squirrels are pretty clever. Might be worth giving it a try and see what happens.

1 comment:

barkfoot said...

When I collect Blackthorn berries to make Sloe gin I usually wait until after the first frost in order that they have become bletted. You can use this technique for other fruit by piercing the skin once or twice with a skewer then slowly freezing them. This breaks up the cell walls and aids the infusion/ fermentation process.