Sunday, July 22, 2007

Cock Fighting and Animal Cruelty

Cock fighting is a barbaric "sport" in which roosters fight to the death, most of the time with sharp razors attached to their claws.
Recently this "sport" was banned in NM. Since then, many Hispanic groups have come forward, saying it should be allowed as part of their culture.
Heh? My family came to America in the 1640's and for hundreds of years they had slaves. At the time of the civil war, many southerners claimed slaves as part of their culture, but it didn't make it right. In the end, it didn't make it legal.
Really, if you have a right to abuse and torture animals then I should have a right to own slaves, it is part of my culture, after all. I should also be allowed to practice human sacrifice and whatever else my long gone ancestors may have done, that would also be part of my culture.
Sorry, but there is no "cultural" right to abuse and/or torture any living creature. Modern times may not be all they are cracked up to be, but join us anyway. Or, if you really want to live in the past I will suggest you move somewhere way more primitive. Why not? Obviously you believe killing animals for your pleasure is perfectly fine, so why not kill them for your meals as well? And for your clothing and whatever else you need. Move to the jungle, modern cities are not for you. Take Michael Vick with you. He likes to torture and kill dogs, so the two of you should get along fine.

Let me come right out and say it -- Those involved in cock fighting, dog fighting or any so called "sport" involving harming animals have really small, teeny tiny, dicks. Men with big dicks and/or big brains, don't need animals to fight for their enjoyment. They don't even need to fight themselves, because they know that they are far superior to the rest. The only people who need animals to fight are the ones with little tiny dicks and/or little tiny brains. It is right up there with beating your wife or girlfriend, it just shows the rest of society that you are an ignorant bastard. Too stupid and weak to fight an equal, you need to cause pain and death to those who happen to be weaker than you. You are filled with anger and hate, you love blood and death. In my way of thinking, you will end up exactly where you deserve, the place of blood and death -- hell.

Anyone who enjoys the pain, suffering and death of another creature is far beyond my understanding. The only people who probably would understand are serial killers, check out their bios, almost all of them enjoyed torturing and killing animals. It is just like torturing a child, it is a creature that is helpless against you and in the case of dogs, it is even worse, because they trust you.

There are very few things that fill me with anger to the degree that animal abuse does. I am disgusted that even if convicted the most Michael Vick would have to spend in prison is 6 years. These types of people should be made an example of and spend just as much time as someone who killed a human, because all studies show that this type of behavior often leads to killing humans. It is like the gateway drug of killing.

Then again, something about the Michael Vick situation gives me hope. The thing that gives me hope is that most people interviewed or that write in their comments and even the news people themselves, seem just as sickened as I am. Maybe the fact that such a high profile person is involved in such a horrible thing is good. I can tell you right now that if it were just some guy in VA, it would be getting zero news coverage. Right now it is like when the news covered the animal situation in New Orleans after the hurricane, people are pissed off. Sometimes when people get pissed off, it is a good thing and I think this is one of those times.

Obviously written by the pet mommy, but the pets agree totally.

7 comments:

barkfoot said...

Pet Mommy can be quite scary when she's angry, but talks a lot of sense! We often have stories of animal abuse on the local news, recently a kitten thrown up and down the stairs and then shot in the head with an air rifle. The owners punishment...banned from owning a cat for ten years!! Apparently she had showed 'genuine remorse'! Was that while she was showing the video of it on her mobile phone to her friends?
We had the same cultural heritage argument when it came to banning fox hunting. 'Rural economys will be devastated' they said...Well you shouldn't be making a living from ripping foxes apart with dogs then should you?!!
People gathering entertainment from suffering animals makes me so mad...
P.S. The kitten survived and is now happy in a new home, lets hope it's a bungalow.

Lesley said...

I can't imagine there is that big of a cash crop in fox hunting. Is it because of the fur? Possibly that sounds slightly more reasonable than animals fighting to the death just so people can gamble on the outcome, but not much.

I am so happy that the kitten lived and has a good home!

Crow said...

Amen sister. I've got two dogs and two cats. Unfortunately my oldest dog "Chiqi" is 14 years old and I'm not expecting her to be with me for very much longer :(
I don't care what anyone says....animals have souls and anyone who torture/kills animals is guilty of murder.

barkfoot said...

You wouldn't think there would be any money in fox hunting would you? The fox pelt goes to waste, ripped up by the dogs. Rich landowners ride expensive thoroughbred horses, which need to be pampered and exercised. Farriers in turn attend the stables. Pedigree packs of dogs are looked after by the houndsman. Uniforms have to be worn by the huntsmen. Gameskeepers 'look after' the hunting grounds. The hunt meets at the pub. It is all this 'industry' that is used to justify the hunt, but it is a fabrication, a nonsense. For years people have made their living out of this, now whining that a tradition will be lost. Well it was a crap tradition and good riddance!!!

Lesley said...

Crow - I know what you mean, I have a cat that is 18 years old. For years I have thought she can't possibly live much longer, her eyes are bad, I have noticed that she walks more slowly and unsteady, she probably has arthritis and yet she hangs on and seems happy. The thing I really hope is that she will die quickly in her sleep and that I won't have to make one of those trips to the vet where I have to decide whether they should "put her out of her misery." I live in total fear of that. Her dying would be traumatic enough without having to decide such a thing.

Yes, animals do have souls and very different and unique personalities.

Lesley said...

Barkwood - I see now, support industry. Doesn't sound like much of a worry to me, rich landowners will always have expensive horses and need people to serve their needs. I am sure they will come up with new activities to spend money on too. Yeah, good riddance!

Steve said...

I agree, it is a cruel sport and, like many things, I don't see the point of it. In reference to the fox hunting, here in the UK, I believe it has been banned now, but I am also reasonably sure that there are people that go ahead with it anyway in spite of the ban. The fox hunters make the same claim about fox hunting as the Mexicans you mention make about cock fighting: it's part of their culture. I don't know if you know if you've ever heard this, Lesley, but if there is someone present for their first hunt then they have to be 'blooded' and the fox is tail is cut off and the blood rubbed on their face. God knows where that idea sprang from.

I encountered a tame fox recently while working a night-shift. They are lovely animals and how anyone can consider their life a worthwhile forfeit for sport I will never know. Be it cock fighting, fox hunting, badger baiting, or whatever, I don't think that 'cultural value' is really any excuse.