Sunday, November 25, 2007

Rest in Peace Sheba

I woke up yesterday to something I have been dreading for several years. My 18 year old cat Sheba had passed away. It was expected because she was old and then again it never is really expected, is it? I am never good at losing pets. I never quite get over it. Sheba will be especially hard since I have been with her almost every day for nearly 19 years. Britton found a box and buried her under a large stone cross we have in the yard. Neither of us felt we could actually have a little memorial for her and say a few word over her grave just yet because we were far too upset.

Sometime soon I will probably write about what a great and smart cat she was and how she at times seemed to think she was a dog, but I need some time to pass first because it would be too hard right now. I don't even think I can bear to post her photo on this post because I would have to see it to do that, which could only bring another flood of tears.

She seemed to have died peacefully in her sleep, something I had hoped for. I never wanted to have some vet tell me that she needed to be put to sleep, or to have to make that decision. I wanted her to die peacefully at home and not afraid in some vets office. So I am very thankful for that.

I am also thankful that I got to keep her so long. It will just take a while to adjust to life without her.

7 comments:

Crow said...

I'm so sorry Lesley. I know what you're going through. Sheba passed on knowing she was very well loved. I still find it very hard not to think of my beloved Chiqi without crying. I painted a portrait of her later as a way to work through my grief.

Siani said...

Lesley, I'm so sorry to hear that. I've been where you are right now, and I know how hard it is. Try, if you can, to take comfort in the fact that you gave her a good and happy life. Take care.

Lesley said...

Thank you both! I know Sheba must have known she was loved and had a good life to live so long. Still, I can't say that this is really any easier than when my sister died last year. My pets are a part of my family and I take losing them just as hard. I had a dog who died when I was about 16 and I still can not spend much time thinking of him without crying.

Crow you have my deepest sympathy on your recent loss of Chiqi. Painting her portrait was a lovely idea.

I think and hope that wherever our departed pets go, they can still feel our love.

R. Lee said...

Lesley, I'm so sorry. Crow is right; Sheba was loved, very loved, and knew it. It's so hard to lose a pet, years after our Shiva died, we still cry sometimes, thinking about him. Let yourself go through the process of your grief, and know that Sheba and you had a special loving relationship. I agree with you that our pets can still feel our love, even after they've gone from this life.

barkfoot said...

Poor Sheba, and poor you. I hope it's comforting to know that she passed away doing one of the things cats like best. It's never easy losing such close friends, I'm sure the other pets miss her too. Be good to yourself, and when you think of her, try and smile about the happy times she had.

Lon said...

Hi Lesley...I just read your account on the passing of your cat. Personally, I just never get over the passing of one of my pets, though I always get another. I hope your holiday went well despite your loss. Take care...Lon

Lesley said...

Thanks Lon. I never get over it either. Normally I would get a new one, but since I still have 2 cats and a dog I haven't felt the need to so much this time.