Thursday, December 11, 2008

Happy and Sad


I am terribly sad. I had to get rid of the phantom dog. Aside from Pooka being mean to him (which I am sure would have eventually worked itself out) he kept getting out of the yard. There are probably a million places a skinny dog like him could get out, as long as his legs are he could probably jump the fence too. Earlier today we went into town and when we came back we found him down by highway 66. I can't tell you how many dead dogs I have seen on that highway and it scared the crap out of me. Luckily Britton had told the girl that works at Starbucks about him and she said that if we had to get rid of him she would be happy to take him. So he now has a new home where I know he will get lots of love and I can always find out how he is doing. I am sure he is inside cuddling with her right now and her dogs are all smaller so he won't have any big dogs to pick on him. I am happy he has a good home, but I was already very attached to him and find it hard having to give him up even though it was for his own good.

I had been thinking that maybe I could be a foster parent for animal humane, but I am now totally sure that I couldn't handle it. I would feel this sad every time one of them was adopted and taken away, even though I would be happy for them too.

5 comments:

Crow said...

Bummer Lesley...but at least Phantom has a loving new home.

Lesley said...

That is the most important thing.

It is amazing how much we are missing a pup that we only had for 2 days though. We keep talking about all the cute things he did. Hopefully we will get to see him again sometime soon.

Crow said...

Yes. Dogs have an uncanny ability to bond with animal loving folk. :)

Regan Lee said...

A beautiful dog, looks like part Great Dane and something . . . I'm sorry Lesley! It is sad. . but it's so good to know he found a loving home, and that's what matters.

barkfoot said...

Phantom is going to have a great Christmas, and that is all down to you. Well done...