Saturday, May 15, 2010

Huge Bobcat Sighting

Earlier today we took Pooka and went up into the mountains to scatter my sister Becky's ashes.  We went late, around 7pm, so there wouldn't be people around.  As we turned into the area know as Sulphur Canyon, we saw the biggest Bobcat that either of us have ever seen.  He crossed right in front of our car, went into the tree area and stopped, turned around and stared at us.  He was at least twice the size of the Bobcats I have seen around here where I live and twice as big as other ones I have seen in captivity.  At the time I estimated he must weigh 60 lbs, which might be an overestimate, but it had to be at least 50.  Of course, I hadn't even got my camera out of my bag yet and I knew he would probably be gone by the time I did, so the photo isn't mine.  I had always thought that even a large Bobcat was around 30 lbs, but I found this quote:

Mountain lions average between 75 and 150 lbs, while bobcats average between 15 and 30 lbs. However, an exceptionally large male bobcat can be close in size to a small female cougar.

I was thrilled to have seen it! Totally made my day!

No comments: